[Foundation-l] UK Foundation (was Day 1 Fund Drive Report)

Scott Keir scottkeir at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 20 03:20:07 UTC 2005

Given the UK support is about 10% of the total support, has there been
consideration given to setting up a UK Foundation, to promote Wikimedia
and raise funds in the UK?

UK law means that for donations to UK charities, either the donor can
reclaim the tax they've paid on the donation, or the charity can (so if
a donor gives GBP10, the charity can receive a total of GBP12.80). This
is obviously more attractive to both donor and charity.

There would be practical issues to consider - of administration, legal
matters for setting it up, how trustees etc would be decided, and how
the donations received from this charity could be put to use for
Wikimedia, but I thought it was worth raising, as I haven't seen it yet
on this list.

(On a related note, has consideration been given to providing a
"proper" facility for people to donate via credit or debit card (Visa,
Mastercard, Diners etc)? Not everyone has Paypal, and their fees are
quite high. If there's going to be this quantity of donations received
on a regular basis, the investment in a WorldPay type system might pay
off. [I've investigated this for a small UK charity I'm a trustee of,
so the issue is fresh in my mind - apologies if this has been discussed
before])

> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 01:43:46 -0800 (PST), Daniel Mayer, Wikimedia CFO
> wrote:
>
> On Day 1 (Friday eastern US timezone since PayPal data are not
> available in
> UTC) we made $9,939.47 (USD equivalent) through a combination of
> PayPal and
> MoneyBookers.
>
> PayPal breakdown:
> AUD   314.03 (247.27 USD)