[Foundation-l] Re: Progress on wikimedia.com?

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 07:19:08 UTC 2005

Erik Moeller a écrit:

> I don't think the confusion can be reduced by simply using a longer name
> -- I believe the only way to accomplish that would be to change the main
> component, the "Wikimedia", but that doesn't seem practical. What are
> the cases where the confusion would increase if we move the site to
> wikimedia.org?
>
> Regards,
>
> Erik

I think the issue is NOT entirely the one of "confusion". But also an
aspect of image, self-image.

When we use explicitely the word "foundation", we transmit a certain
message to the reader.

the term "Foundation" conveys a certain set of concept, about "help",
about "support", about "independant organisation", about "funding".

Which the simple term "wikimedia" does not convey.

This is probably why most american foundations have the word
"foundation" in their name.

Or most european associations have the word "association" in their name.

I think this is important from a pr perspective.