[Foundation-l] Wikistandards

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Mon Feb 7 19:18:51 UTC 2005

C T wrote:

>Our class has studied or is studying
>
>Electrical Theory 1 & 2
>Semiconductors 1
>Digital Devices 1
>
>Does Wikistandards cover these topics?
>
>Where can I veiw the efforts already engaged?
>
>Thanks,
>Craig

I think you are mistaking the purpose of what we are doing here.  You
originally proposed:

"A place to gather international standards for electricity, electronics,
and robotics. Instead of paying large sums of money to the IEEE and ISO for
access to their standards."

And I was pointing out that I had a similar effort that was more broadly
based as a generic standards repository, that would obviously include
international standards for these specific areas you mentioned.

Trying to start up a new project is obviously challenging, if only to
gather supporters together.  I've been working on this proposal since
August, and in truth I've been working on variations of something like
this for almost five years.  This isn't something that will happen
immediately.  The Wikimedia Foundation is not here to host just any
project, but to foster new projects that are in harmony with the other
projects that are here.  A quick look at the list of proposed projects
shows about fifty (50) different projects that have been proposed, most
of them over the past year or so on the current list.  There are only
six major projects and four others that are still struggling trying to
get going.  Of those four, two are showing signs of trouble, Wikispecies
and the 9-11 Memorial, because of various internal problems and its
limited scope.  (I am ignoring Meta and the Foundation websites as
special creatures in their own right).

In addition, the Wikimedia Foundation put up a new policy regarding how
to start a new project, and so far there has not even been a single
project that has been approved through this new process (based largely
on how the Wikinews project was put together, and to avoid the pitfalls
of projects like Wikispecies).  If there is some momentum here, I'd like
to see if we can get Wikistandards to be approved by this process, but
it isn't going to happen any time very soon.  At a minimum two to three
months, perhaps even longer if just to see if we can get some community
support.

In short, I don't have any specific resources to put forward that would
be able deal with the electronics theory concepts that you are
suggesting, although there are some items in Wikibooks that might be of
some use to you right now.  If you know of some standards documents
involving electronics that we might be able to put together, it would be
appreciated.  One thing I would have appreciated years ago when I was
taking some Electrical Engineering classes was a book or guide to
7400-series digital logic chips.   You can get this information often
from chip manufactures, but an objective guide would have some value on
its own.  Please let me know if you have anything currently, or
something that you are debating about in class right now that could be
included.

--
Robert Scott Horning