[Foundation-l] re: Project Wikineur

Robin Shannon robin.shannon at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 04:14:08 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 10:51:01 +1100, Rebecca <misfitgirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Virtually any literate person is capable of adding material to
> Wikipedia, Wikinews, Wikiquote, or Wikisource. Wiktionary has similar
> general appeal, if not so complete, and many people can edit Wikibooks
> due to its diverse nature. It's these projects, with their diverse
> appeal, that are Wikimedia's mainstay. This just isn't the case with
> *any* of these subject-specific works. It's also interesting to note
> that arguably the two least successful projects at this point -
> Wiktionary and Wikibooks (and the complete failure of Wikispecies,
> which I don't even count) - are those that perhaps not everyone is
> capable of adding material to.

Can, i just add a little off topic plug for wiktionary here. I think
that it has really improved over the last year, and while still not a
real threat to the oxford, its getting to be quite useful to people
(such as myself) who are interested in translating things between
languages. To anyone who hasn't looked at wiktionary lately id suggest
having a gander, cause i think its just freaking awesome, and that in
another 4 or 5 years, the OED will be as obsolete as the britanica is
now. But yes ambi, you are right about it having a smaller possible
base of users, since some basic knowledge of how languages work is
needed for a lot of the work they do over there.

paz y amor
~~~~

--
hit me: robin.shannon.id.au
jab me: saudade at jabber.zim.net.au

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons
Recombo Plus License. To view a copy of this license, visit
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sampling+/1.0/