[Foundation-l] Wikisource as a repository for thesis

Roberto Frangi rfrangi at coopetition.it
Wed Oct 13 22:11:03 UTC 2004

Ray Saintonge wrote:

> Speaking as a Wikisource admin and as the person who wrote most of
> that policy page I think that I can safely say that such a thesis can
> be accomodated.  That rule is primarily there to forestall those
> individuals who are out to promote their own pet theories or bad
> poetry that has never been published anywhere.  Perhaps they could be
> accomodated at Wikibooks, but since I have very little involvement
> with that project I cannot speak for them.
>
> In this case I would tend to interpret the submission of the thesis to
> the appropriate university authorities as a form of prior publication.
>
> Including the thesis will leave it subject to the FDL rules for
> copyright purposes.  The submission should include enough information
> to legally identify you as the owner of the copyright so that we know
> that you have the authority to release the text under a free
> distribution licence.
>
> Ec

That's wat I wanted to hear!
Now my idea is: since thesis are  a valuable resource  for students,  I
think that maybe we shuold incentivate the use of wikisource as a thesis
repository,  so that  students have a place  where they can find works
related to their studies. Also we will give a chance to have
translations of the thesis in different languages (the one we are going
to insert will be (slowly) translated from italian to english),
which.would be interesting in particular for works on humanistic
subjects, that are more likely to be treated with different perspectives
in different cultures.

Snowdog (A colege drop-out, working hard for a "honoris causa").