[Foundation-l] Re: Wikimedia and Politics

wiki_tomos wiki_tomos at inter7.jp
Sat Nov 27 07:56:55 UTC 2004

I would say there are things we can do to our
direct benefits, and less costly.

Regarding copyright, yes, perhaps many Wikimedians
do have concerns about strong copyright protections
like the lenths of protection, copyright for
non-creative aspects of database, anti-circumvention
prohibition, and potential expansion of indirect
infringements are discussed on mailinglists and on
various pages.

But copyleft licenses and their likes (such as
CreativeCommons Public Licenses, not all of which are
copyleft) enable us to deal with that strong protection.

It is more directly to our benefit to promote GFDL,
and we do not have to influence any legislation to do that.

Also, it is very beneficial for us to help FSF to revise
the GFDL so that we have more flexibility regarding its
requirements, though I know English wikipedia interprets
it rather liberally, and not having serious problems.

As a sidenote, regarding the length of copyright protection,
I am not sure if the shortening of the protection period
would result in an immediate release of currently protected
works into the public domain. When I see the legal texts
and relevant court cases, it is often decided that legal
changes do not  affect the already copyrighted works
unless it is beneficial to the authors and other copyright
holders (But I know mostly about Japanese stuff, so it may
be different for other countries).

We can also try to solve digital divide without lobbying.
We can promote and distribute our free content. How about
a promotional team who can talk to potential users about
our content and answer questions they might have, introduce
them whom they should talk to for technical, legal, and
other questions?

Regards,

Tomos