[Education] Wikipedia and Education: Wikimania in Haifa

Virgilio A. P. Machado vam at fct.unl.pt
Thu Apr 14 01:54:36 UTC 2011

Great idea. It will not be ready for Wikimania in Haifa, this year,
but I just added to my list of case studies: "The crusaders against
education in the Brazilian Wikipedia." Right now it is an unfinished
case because the crusade is still raging at full throttle in the
Brazilian Wikipedia, thanks to... YOU. That's right, YOU. It is all
happening under your very noses, using the resources that the
Wikimedia Foundation makes available to the gang that runs the
Brazilian Wikipedia. A word of warning, also, to all the donors to
the Wikimedia Foundation whose money is unwittingly being used to
support that big sham called Portuguese Wikipedia. Sounds dramatic,
exaggerated, overblown? I wouldn't believe it myself if I were not
there, right on top of the list of those blocked to infinite for
daring, for trying such foolish endeavor. My worst sin, I'm very
sorry to say: being a Portuguese university professor trying to run a
successful higher education project in a Wikipedia dominated by
Brazilian highschoolers. In the mean time, have fun in Haifa, patting
each other on the back for a job well done.

Sincerely,

Virgilio A. P. Machado