[ComProj] ComProj Digest, Vol 9, Issue 10

simonpedia simon at cols.com.au
Thu Nov 22 06:40:38 UTC 2007

Dear Sean,

My thanks for your guidance and patience, and my apologees for taking so
long. So far as email allowing 'really clear comms'. If it were 121 yeah OK.
But we are trying to help idiots like me get ORIENTATED and after doing so,
be a little useful. After going through the many singular (open) elists,
I've gotta say no, it's as clear as mud.

I look at Cormac (as one example) helping to orientate people on the uni
list
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikiversity-l/2007-November/000247.html
And then ask some real pertinent questions
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikiversity-l/2007-November/000248.html

And then I look though (just) this list where I see Sandy Ordenez ask for
some help with a blogging project, send a "yes, I'd love to help", and
receive an email to a group, including yourself  that talks about another
'internal group'. (" Another Wikipedian - Simon has agreed to help out with
the edit wikipedia/blogging project. Schiste, when you can give me an
update, so I can email to internal/comcom etc.) And then nothing. No doubt
there are a thousand emails going on, which might make it clear what's
happening. And the IRC meeting take place, without the records being
(easily) found, and if they are, are so arcane, a newbie would have a hard
time making some sense of them.

Through all of this, I see the Foundation looking to employ more staff in
San Fran to do with outreach & partnership development. Meanwhile christophe
doesn't understand how my mail might even pertain to this list.

OK, 'grumpy old man' is a good description. But I see you (and so many
tothers) working your butt off, and while a wiki has proved quite fantastic
in developing an encyclopedia/dictionary that has changed every
institution's idea of what the web could be for, it's global communities are
hindered by using comms tools built for an age gone by.

Come on mate. You don't need to be told this by an old man. I've read too
much of what you've (and others) have written to imagine what you could do
by using comms tools that were modern. All I'm saying is that if you (and
the bright minds around here) can scope them, we can surely find a partner
who will sponsor them.

My regards to all,
simonfj

ComProj has long been a redirect to Communication Projects Group, so
that hasn't changed. The projects page is what I changed the most; go
take a look.

As for forums etc., I understand where you are coming from, but I also
don't see what is wrong with e-mail - surely pretty much everyone on
the web knows how to use e-mail, and it allows really clear
communication?

Thank you for your contribution,

Sean

Checked by AVG Free Edition.