[Commons-l] Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Pedro Sanchez pdsanchez at gmail.com
Mon May 16 20:15:42 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Stephen Bain <stephen.bain at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 5:40 AM, Chris McKenna <cmckenna at sucs.org> wrote:
>>
>> Actaully, I think it has made the absolutely right choice - to stick to
>> it's founding principle of being not censored.
>
> Well actually, the founding principle is giving everyone free access
> to the sum of human knowledge, which is not quite the same thing.

That's not a founding principle, that's a quip from Jimbo that came
much later than foundation
Otherwise I agree completely with you

This has been mixing two different things: should commons host images
like that one (yes), should commons allow such images on main page (as
community decides)

The proper way to move forward here is not get into a hot discussion,
but realize that what we need is more and more people getting involved
on the featuring process.

If everybody "disappointed" about this image being promoted would get
involved, then the problem would actually start going away.

--
Pedro Sánchez
http://drini.mx