[Commons-l] Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Mon May 16 02:48:41 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 7:31 PM, CherianTinu Abraham
<tinucherian at gmail.com>wrote:

> Surely I'm not the only one who noticed this lovely gem of a photo of the
> day today. In my work environment - NFWS.
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
>
> Direct link to image:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:On_the_edge_-_free_world_version.jpg
>
> I mean really? /facepalm
>
> This is the kind of imagery I have no desire to see on the front page of
> Commons. I'm a very liberal person, but, this makes me not want to even
> allow my MOTHER to use Commons.
>
> #wikilove,
>
> Sarah

I feel exactly the same way. This is an insult to the people who value the
educational spirit of Commons.

I attempted to argue that the image didn't meet the featured criteria of
Commons, but was drowned out by voters such as the one who argued without
irony, "{{Support}} I like her big tits".

Whether or not Commons should host such images is really a separate argument
than whether we want to feature topless anime as the best of the content we
have.

Steven