[Commons-l] UploadWizard roll-out

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 00:58:03 UTC 2011

Neil Kandalgaonkar wrote:
>>> - How to monitor how this changes what gets uploaded, does it increase
>>> copyvio, etc. Obviously if this starts to increase we want to pull back
>>> and reassess.
>>
>> You have to take a "0 measurement" now to be able to compare. Define
>> critical success factors, measure, deploy, measure again. Copyvio may be
>> hard to measure (additional tools/dev/work required). Survival rate of one
>> month would for example be an easier indicator.
>
> Our real critical success factor is increasing participation, the most
> obvious would be a simple increase in volume of work submitted that
> survives after a month.
>
> One worry that people have voiced is that this will increased
> *undetected* copyvio. The theory is that people who copyvio are apt to
> be dissuaded by Commons' "traps" for the unwary. I am personally really
> skeptical of that theory, but I recognize that we may be making it
> easier to get through the process for copyvio people too.

Same upload #, less copyvios => Undetected copyvios
Less uploads => UploadWizard failure
More uploads, same copyvio rate => Probably good
Other numbers => ???
The problem when the number of uploads increase is that you can hardly
determine if that came from the good or bad pools. The bad percentage is
likely to be higher on the difference group than in the previous one.
But it could also be that more people is now able to do things
correctly, so you can't assume that all those are copyvios either.

> Perhaps we need to take a sampling of photos and ... try harder to
> determine copyright? Maybe contact the uploaders in question, if
> possible, and just ask them what they thought they were doing? (I'm
> assuming most copyvio is done in good faith).

I haven't done such reviewing recently, but there's usually no feedback
to messages. "Workaround the software to upload the image (no matter
that it says it is not allowed)" might be a good description.