[Commons-l] re-enabling sitemaps for Commons, or, why your image isn't in Google

Krinkle krinklemail at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 13:49:46 UTC 2011

On 4 March 2011, Neil Kandalgaonkar wrote:
> Google has introduced some nifty extensions to the Sitemap protocol,
> including geocoding and (especially dear to our hearts) licensing![2]
> However we don't have such information easily available in the
> database,
> so this requires parsing through every File page, which will take
> several millenia.
>
> This will not work at all with the current sitemaps script as it scans
> the entire database every time and regenerates a number of sitemaps
> files from scratch. So, what we need is something more iterative, that
> only scans recent stuff. (Or, using such extensions will have to wait
> until someone brings licensing into the database).
>
> --
> Neil Kandalgaonkar     <neilk at wikimedia.org>

Bryan, Roan and me are working on this:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/License_integration

Right now we're mostly brainstorming for the best way to do this, we
expect to plan
real development within 2011 but it will most certainly take a while
before it's done
and stable, working, backwards complatible, proper usability, code
reviewed
and live on Commons.

--
Krinkle