[Commons-l] UploadWizard roll-out

Neil Kandalgaonkar neilk at wikimedia.org
Thu Mar 3 21:25:41 UTC 2011

It's been a long time coming but we're getting close to being able to
release UploadWizard to a broader spectrum of users.

If you are unfamiliar with the project, the idea is to greatly improve
the usability of the uploading experience. We haven't been public for a
while but we are working hard on fixing all the bugs you've reported.
You should see more regular updates from us over this month.

We're pretty sure this will be a giant improvement over the current
experience, although we're aware that there's a degree of skepticism out
there about this, and some questions about whether this will increase
copyvio or have other bad effects. This is where you all come in.

Questions we're considering:

- How best to roll this out -- it should be phased, but how exactly?

- How to monitor how this changes what gets uploaded, does it increase
copyvio, etc. Obviously if this starts to increase we want to pull back
and reassess.

We already add every image uploaded with UploadWizard to the category
"Uploaded With UploadWizard". What tools exist to survey the copyvio
rates, let's say of one category versus all categories? If this requires
coding, does this sound like a cool project to you?

--
Neil Kandalgaonkar     <neilk at wikimedia.org>