[Commons-l] Corbis Sygma

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 10:42:46 UTC 2011

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2029367/fate-uncertain-millions-sygmas-images

Early reports of destruction may have been too bold.   But the
motivation was the potential for crippling lawsuits by the
photographers under French law -- one of whom won ~$2M from Sygma when
Sygma could not produce 750 of his images.

I fully support the idea of helping archives in distress, but it's not
clear what is needed in this case, or if help from us would be
valuable.  (an archive that specializes in digitization might be more
relevant; and a project like the Internet Archive that hosts and
shares orphaned works.)

SJ

> http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.com/2011/02/sygma-collection-needs-refuge.html
>>> From: Gnangarra <gnangarra at gmail.com>
>>>
>>> http://blog.melchersystem.com/2011/02/25/the-fire-this-time/
>>>
>>> 12 Million Photographs are to be destroyed because liquidators cant
>>> find a buyer?
>>>
>>> these arent just random landscape photos, these are photos are from
>>> the fench news agency Sygma
>>>
>>> Wikimedia-france, Jimbo, any chance they could find their way to
>>> Commons rather than just being destroyed and lost for ever.......
>>>
>>> --
>>> GN.
>>> Photo Gallery: http://gnangarra.redbubble.com
>>> Gn. Blogg: http://gnangarra.wordpress.com

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266