[Commons-l] Commons-l Digest, Vol 69, Issue 21 - Friendliness

Turelio001 at aol.com Turelio001 at aol.com
Mon Feb 28 09:12:50 UTC 2011

"users from Germany are the root of the problem" (Lars Aronsson, Commons-l,
27 Feb 2011)

Wow. I never expected to read such a phrase on Commons-l. Though I hate to
possibly fulfil Godwin's law, when reading Aronsson's above cited claim, the
infamous Nazi slogan "The Jews are our misfortune" (sv: "Judarna är vår
olycka") came to my mind.

Mr. Aronsson obviously hasn't understood the Wiki system: if you think
something can (or needs to) be improved, just DO IT or make a substantial
proposal at the right place, but without spitting your contempt in the face of
those who have done the pioneer work (even, if somewhat lousy).

Though Mr. Aronsson's second focus seems to be on German admins, it may
have slipped his attention that default message templates used for notifying
uploaders that one of their uploads is considered copyvio, derivative-work,
missing permission, missing source or missing a license, etc. were not
necessarily written by the admins who use them on a daily basis. But if Mr.
Aronsson prefers, I can ask all 48 de-native-tagged admins on Commons to stop all
their admin-work until we get Mr. Aronsson's personal approval.

The problem Commons is facing since a while, is massively missing
admin-power/resources.
On February 23rd, Commons had 9 mio files. (read on [[:de:WP:Kurier]])
Today (Febr 28th), Commons has 9.35 mio files. (as of
[[Special:Statistics]])

That means, in 5 days 350.000 uploads needed to be checked for detecting
blatant and not so overt copyvios, for attack images/pages, for personality
rights violations, for useless bullshit, for clearly promotional material,
for missing source entry, for missing license, for missing permission (when
uploader not identical to author), etc. etc.

Yes, we have 270 admins on our list. Surely all are doing valuable work.
But rather few are active in the dirty work of upload patrol (To get a surely
incomplete impression:
http://toolserver.org/~vvv/adminstats.php?wiki=commonswiki_p&tlimit=15768000). Why? Though upload patrol may keep Commons
existing (instead of being closed down by WMF after getting the 10.000th DMCA
takedown-request), it doesn't make you any friends. You get angry reactions from
clueless, careless or reckless uploaders, you are personally insulted, you
even get death threaths, your userpage is vandalized, etc. but you NEVER get
a thank-you from WMF or any institutional body of WMF or Commons (except
from a few single users or fellow sysops). I'm not really asking for the
latter, but mentioning it may help to understand the "constructive" impact of your
rant.

Túrelio

(COI disclosure: admin on Commons, who is de-native, but has never written
a default message template;  Disclaimer: speaking strictly for myself, not
for a non-existing de-admin cabal)

In einer eMail vom 28.02.2011 02:52:19 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt
commons-l-request at lists.wikimedia.org: