[Commons-l] Fwd: [Foundation-l] Friendliness

Daniel Schwen lists at schwen.de
Wed Feb 23 17:22:07 UTC 2011

Ok, at the risk of being the bad guy here:

Nobody is really suggesting we should become more like Flickr, right?
Comment system is all nice, but
1) commons is not a social networking site (there are plenty of those
on the web, do we need to emulate them?)
2) commons should not be a popularity contest (or else we would be
having the same oversaturated HDR kitsch images that get som many
praising comments on Flickr)
3) some people really should get over it

For crying out loud, do we really need to sugar coat every
informational bot message? if peoples "feelings" are hurt because we
tell them a bot they did something wrong that is essentially not my
problem.
Yes.
There is a ton of work to do in commons and barely enough people to
manage it with the help of bots.
And I'm getting the impression people complain that we do not go
around and hold newbies' hands have a chat with them over a cup of
tea. Boo freaking hoo! We do not have the resources for that. And 99%
of the time IT WOULD NOT BE WORTH IT IN ANY CASE. 99% of the people
that get bot-shafted are drive-by uploaders that upload a few non-free
junk pictures, without ever bothering to think about the purpose and
mission of commons. Maybe we have to make that a little more clear.
Have small online course with a few quizz questions to be answers at
account creation time.
Next complaint is: everything is in english. Yeah, we should get off
our lazy asses and replicate our entire category system in every
possible language. Oh yeah, and nobody should post anything on commons
without all those zillions of translations attached to it. Geez,
english, what made you world language?! We are such an exclusionary
club. Ahrgh, again, WE DO NOT HAVE THE RESOURCES!!!

Ok, rant over. I guess I'm probably the problem with commons...