[Commons-l] About the current Commons homepage

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Sat May 15 21:30:33 UTC 2010

Hay (Husky) wrote:
> http://twitpic.com/1o0lx0
>
> The main page is supposed to be a showcase on what a great collection
> of free media we have, right? Well, let's just look at what a
> first-time visitor encounters on the main page:
>
> * A paragraph of text talking about a 'setup page' for the media of
> the day, for 'ease of translation' in something called 'Template:motd'
> and 'Template:potd'. Obviously, a first-time visitor won't have a clue
> about what all those terms mean and if they're important to him/her.
> * A link urging people to vote for the picture of the year, but that's
> only for 'eligible voters' (i am an eligible voter? how do i know?)

Yeah, our sitenotices are of little use to new comers.
I have removed the sitenotices from [[Main Page]]. People which interact
with commons will see them whenever they start browsing-

BTW, Dschwen moved the languages to the bottom, although I'm not sure if
it's a good idea.

Maybe we should try to detect the language with javascript and offer the
choice that we guess is right, with the others hidden under a scroll.