[Commons-l] Commons: An initial notice to reduce surprises

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed May 12 03:31:41 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:22 PM, Gnangarra <gnangarra at gmail.com> wrote:
> Really all we need to do is impliment a review process for uploaded media
> that way we address not only scope but copyright, derivative wroks, FOP,
> permission and licensing issues before the image is available for use,
> something like a flagged revisions. Providing it has an auto review for
> approved contributors so as not to create unmanagable back logs it should be
> a relatively fast process.

I haven't seen any evidence that we've got a significant
eyeballs-to-images problem on commons. Can you suggest some?

Lack of immediate gratification would be a big turn-off... e.g. at
least a flagged revision change is atomic: you make your edit and
forget about it.  But for an upload, if you're planning on putting it
in a specific article that would pretty much stink.

Many of the recently deleted (but now restored) images came from users
with long contribution histories.