[Commons-l] Commons: An initial notice to reduce surprises

Neil Kandalgaonkar neilk at wikimedia.org
Tue May 11 19:04:42 UTC 2010

Note: replying to Commons-L as I am not on Foundation-L.

Hi -- I'm one of the WMF staff programmers working on Commons Usability.
And by "one of", I mean "the". ;)

Reiterating arguments I made at the Village Pump, I'd like to note on
this list that in my professional opinion, this would be a step
backwards for usability.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Village_pump#An_initial_notice_to_reduce_surprises

If you feel that the purpose of Commons is not obvious to visitors, I
suggest a tagline that appears at the top of every page.

  http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20010722.html

My suggestion would be something like "A vast library of educational
images, movies, and sounds that anyone can use or contribute to."

--
Neil Kandalgaonkar (   <neilk at wikimedia.org>