[Commons-l] The change in the interface is coming

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 04:01:57 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 11:48 PM, Naoko Komura <nkomura at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> The usability beta has been tried out by over 570,000 users across all
> Wikimedia projects and roughly 80% of those beta users continue using it
> [1].

Hello Naoko.  I believe the 80% number is failing to account for users
which have responded to the beta by logging out and simply not logging
back in.

While I do not intend to suggest that there is anything wrong with the
beta— since non-logged-in users were solicited and most people have no
cause to log into the wikimedia projects, I expect any metric
generated by counting the preference would be incredibly inflated and
80% may, in fact be a very low number indicating a serious problem.
To the extent that this is worth measuring, it's probably worth
measuring correctly.