[Commons-l] Neil K intro / Photography Platforms

Daniel Schwen lists at schwen.de
Mon Mar 22 15:47:58 UTC 2010

>> for a lot of what currently happens on Flickr, like the awesome
>> astrometry.net project.  In many cases, the value in Flickr as a

FWIW I worked on an "astrometry bot" a few months ago, and was in
contact with the developers. Back then it turned out not to make a
whole lot of sense, as our collection of astronomy pictures was small,
and the ones we had showed mostly very narrow portions of the sky.
This makes it necessary to use databases with very large magnitudes,
i.e. a large number of reference stars. making the calculations very
slow and memory consuming (too much for the already strained
toolserver).

I might revisit this project is a while if a real need develops.