[Commons-l] not Djakota, IIP :-)

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Fri Mar 19 08:58:48 UTC 2010

On 19 March 2010 02:35, Daniel Schwen <lists at schwen.de> wrote:
> Hey,
> inspired by the Djakota postig I whipped up a little wrapper around
> IIP [1] and VIPS [2]. It is basically the same think as Djakota, but
> as a compiled fast-cgi program (rather than Java).
>
> A couple of examples:
> http://toolserver.org/~dschwen/iip/wip.php?f=LC-39_Observation_gantry_pano.jpg
> http://toolserver.org/~dschwen/iip/wip.php?f=Chicago.jpg
> http://toolserver.org/~dschwen/iip/wip.php?f=Seattle_7.jpg
>
> The examples use a flash viewer, but you can append &flash=no to the
> urls to get a Javascript viewer.

This is beautiful! I'm playing with it on an aging Windows machine,
and I think it's smoother to view a large image via this tool than it
is to open it locally and scroll across it :-)

Does the processing and recompression cause any noticeable lack of
fidelity, do you think? Working from a jpeg original, then converting
to tiff and back again sounds like it might be problematic...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk