[Commons-l] Djatoka

Tim Alder tim.alder at s2002.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Mar 11 22:44:54 UTC 2010

Hello,
I also think that we need a support for high resultion images. But we
should rethink if JPEG2000 and
Djatoka is the right way. What's happen with the servers if we get 1000
requests per second and how
free is JPEG2000?

If you use instead tiles you can use tile-caches and other server
optimisations.

So I experiment a little bit with TMS[1] and create:
http://toolserver.org/~kolossos/zoom-image/tms/
To create this tiles I use the opensource tool GDAL2tiles.[2]
The frontend is OpenLayers which we want to use in Mediawiki so or so
for the Openstreetmap-integration project.

I also test Zoomify so if you want to compare:
http://toolserver.org/~kolossos/zoom-image/
but I think we need in the future no flash.

I'm very interested on highresolution pictures and use a panorama robot
to create such images and would like to upload
pictures like this [3] to commons. What I want to say is that also
normal Commons users can create Photos with 1 Gigapixel resolution.

Greetings Tim alias User:Kolossos

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tile_Map_Service
[2]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDAL
[3]http://gigapan.org/gigapans/37926/