[Commons-l] New DMCA procedures

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 03:05:33 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Cary Bass <cary at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> Dan Watts, who is helping Mike Godwin here in our San Francisco office,
> has drafted some templates to be used for DMCA takedown notices, as well
> as some DMCA counterclaims.
>
> As these impact Commons as much as any one Wikimedia community, it is
> our hope that  community can come together to discuss these templates
> and incorporate the suggestions offered herein, to improve the lines of
> communication between the community and the Wikimedia Foundation when it
> has been directed to remove materials in accordance with DMCA.
>
> The templates and suggestions are located at
> <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Memo_-_WMF_DMCA_takedown_and_counterclaim_notificatino_template_draft_1_Watts.pdf>
> <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Memo_-_WMF_DMCA_putback_notification_template_Watts_V2.pdf>
>
> I'll be cross-posting this message to the Commons Village Pump.

I'm concerned that these create an impression that you can
counter-claim the community.

E.g. If a file gets DMCA noticed, you counter claim, but the community
decides that the file isn't legit (regardless of your counter claim)
we're not going to keep the file. ... not at all due to the DMCA but
due to our own community editorial policy.