[Commons-l] Wikimedia as stock photo source

Gnangarra gnangarra at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 15:39:22 UTC 2009

Yeah its incompatible, SA license requires

   - *Share Alike*—If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may
   distribute the resulting work only under the same, similar or a compatible
   license.

the is an exception that the copyright holder may waiver any condition of a
SA license.

The site licensing clearly isnt the same, similar or compatible.
Interestingly if the images are individually licensed cc-by-3.0 then they
are able to reuse without restriction or requesting a waiver.

The image in http://euobserver.com/7/28830 is a cc-by-3.0 license while the
attribution isnt correct the resue is compatible
While the image in http://euobserver.com/7/28767 is a satalite photograph,
which I have yet to locate on en:WP or Commons but the its either a PD
license or its a government agency license either way attribution shouldnt
be to WP

the other are proving a little difficult to track down for the purpose of
giving example in this email that the image may be reusable under a
different license than cc-by-sa

2009/10/23 Py mouss <pymouss44 at gmail.com>

> The license of the site (http://euobserver.com/static/terms) seems to be
> incompatible with the use of pictures licensed CC-BY-SA, no ?
>
> 2009/10/22 Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se>
>
> Nicolas Guérin wrote:
>>
>> > Well, there's no really need to cite Wikipedia, because the license said
>> > that the author (the person who took the picture) and the license should
>> be
>> > mentionned. To cite "Wikipedia" is welcome but not necessary.
>>
>> Maybe we should just rename Wikimedia Commons to
>> you-are-free-to-reuse-it.org
>>

>> --
>>  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)
>>  Aronsson Datateknik - http://aronsson.se