[Commons-l] Picture of the Year 2008 competition Results

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 05:51:32 UTC 2009

Hoi,
In the results I noticed that the restorations are not marked as such. The
original artist is credited. This is problematic because these pictures
became featured pictures because of the massive amount of work done to get
these pictures back to such a pristine quality. It is important because the
visibility and appreciation of restorations stimulates more people to help
us with their work. It is important because archives and museums value the
documentation, for them it is an argument to share high quality images with
us.

I showed several of the restorations done by Durova at the Spaarnestad
archive, this is an archive that contains among other collections the
archive of the ANP the "Algemeen Nederlands Persbureau" and they were REALLY
appreciative of her work; they compared her restoration of an elder Darwin
with their own restoration of the same picture and told me that technically
they can do a restoration to such a standard, there just is not the money to
do this..

In conclusion, I am not sure, this is an official announcement but I feel
that I should edit this. I do prefer an official reaction and I prefer it to
be done on the announcement itself and preferably with a reaction on the
mailing list.
Thanks,
      GerardM

http://www.spaarnestadphoto.nl/