[Commons-l] [Textbook-l] License information (was: PDF/Collection feature live on de.wikibooks)

Plyd wiki.vincent at amplyd.com
Thu Jan 29 14:14:38 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Brianna Laugher
<brianna.laugher at gmail.com>wrote:

> >> Ouch, thanks for pointing that out. Tricky to do this automatically
> >> since it's all wiki-text with templates, but we'll investigate a
> >> solution here.
> >
> > We'd highly appreciate input from the community regarding this topic!
> >
> > The printed books from PediaPress contain a list of figures where the
> > license of each image is listed, together with the URL to the image
> > description page. As some kind of "hotfix" this solution could be
> > implemented in the PDF export of the Collection extension, too. But
> > this doesn't really solve the problem.
> >
> > We think it's more of a technical/software thing, so I cross-posted
> > (and set Reply-To) to Wikitech-l.
> >
> > In our opinion, license management/handling must be a core feature of
> > MediaWiki, because the software is explicitely developed for the
> > collaborative distribution of free content. Licenses of the containing
> > articles and images should not be represented via some agreed-upon
> > convention but via structured (and machine-readable) information,
> > available for each relevant object in the wiki.
> >
> > Some information that would be desired:
> >
> > - Full (official) name of the license(s).
> > - Whether the full text of the license has to be included or a
> > reference sufficient.
> > - Reference to the full text of the license(s) (in some rigidly
> > defined format like wikitext).
> > - Whether attribution is required. If so: The list of required
> > attributions.
> >
> > So, basically all the information that's required to check if it's
> > possible to take some part of the MediaWiki and use it somewhere else
> > and all the information that has to be included in that other place.
> > This information could be made accessible via MediaWiki API, but
> > ideally it's contained in the wikitext and/or XHTML, too.
>
> Because different wikis implement licenses in different ways (ie there
> are no naming conventions for license templates), I am not sure this
> license information would belong in MediaWiki core. But I think that
> definitely Wikimedia Commons, and perhaps other Wikimedia wikis that
> accept freely licensed uploads, should work on providing a "community
> API" layer. My thinking behind this is that the communities build a
> lot of structure into their content via templates or categories or
> whatever. It makes sense to provide an API to stop every third party
> user having to reinvent the wheel.
>
> On Wikimedia Commons a little bit of work has been done to this end:
> <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Commons_API>
>
> In particular this contains some of the license info you mentioned.
> e.g. below is the info for the GFDL.
>
> GFDL
>
> full_name
>    GNU Free Documentation License
> attach_full_license_text
>    1
> attribute_author
>    1
> keep_under_same_license
>    1
> [...]

 Hello,

I'm speaking for the Poster Project of Fr-Wikipedia, but its needs are very
similar to PediaPress.

We need to answer this question :
<< What is the minimum Credit line to provide when distributing the file? >>

We currently parse/provide the document, that's why such Commons API would
help a lot.

But, even with this API, we still have to answer questions:
- do we have to provide author, origin, uploader or commons url?
- with the API, how can we get the shortest text to provide? (if possible
without even checking the licence)

Example on the functionnality we would need:
GetMinimumCreditLine("Sa-warthog.jpg", "printable", "en")
 -> ("From Sanjay ach, under GFDL", FlagProvideGFDL)

or
GetMinimumCreditLine("Sa-warthog.jpg", "web", "en")
 -> ("From Sanjay ach, under <a href='urlgfdl'>GFDL</a>")

Cheers,
Plyd