[Commons-l] Wikinews's POTY

bawolff bawolff+wn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 07:20:13 UTC 2009

Hi Commoners far and wide:

Although it is lesser known, we at Wikinews (english edition) also
have a picture of the year competition. Basically the focus is on
choosing an image that is both pretty and is newsworthy. All
Wikimedians with greater than 50 edits, and have had an account since
Jan 10 (on any wikimedia wiki, but please merge your accounts), are
invited to vote, and as such I would like to extend an invitation to
everyone at Wikimedia Commons, to come down to  wikinews and vote.
This will be the second time we have done this, last year
[[File:Mahmoud Ahmadinejad at Columbia 1 by David Shankbone.jpg]] was
selected as the 2007 wikinews picture of the year. From the summary on
[[wikinews:WN:POTY]]:

The aim of this idea is to have an election for a Wikinews Picture of
the Year 2008, in an analogy to the Picture of the Year contest on
Commons. With this initiative we would like to promote photojournalism
and quality images with great news value for use on Wikinews and other
Wikimedia projects. This idea is not meant to compete with the
election on Commons (the rules and candidates are totally different)
or criticise Commons in any way, rather it is aimed to promote more
collaboration between Wikinews and Wikimedia photographers.

Round 1 voting opens on Jan 24, 00:00 UTC, and closes on the 31st. All
images are selected from images that have appeared on
[[n:template:News in pictures]]   in 2008 (which is on the wikinews
main page). For more information, please see:
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Picture_of_the_Year_2008

Sincerely,
your friendly neighborhood wikinewsie, [[wikinews:user:bawolff]]

p.s. I hope this isn't too off topic