[Commons-l] Client side transcoding with firefogg (early testing)...

Michael Dale mdale at wikimedia.org
Mon Jan 19 07:08:38 UTC 2009

While the upload API is under development / stabilization ... I hacked
in basic firefogg upload support to the add_media_wizard ...  Since
firefogg works over post you can use it with the existing upload
interface (without good error handling).... If you first download the
browser extension from firefogg.org you can do client side transcoding
by adding in:

importScriptURI('http://mvbox2.cse.ucsc.edu/wiki/extensions/MetavidWiki/skins/add_media_wizard.js');

to your User:Name/monobook.js page on commons... once added visit the
upload page and hopefully it gives you the option to transcode ;)

This is just a proof of concept demo.. we should soon have real
integration ;)

peace,
--michael