[Commons-l] default quality for ogg content?

Michael Dale mdale at wikimedia.org
Thu Jan 8 18:59:24 UTC 2009

You would not want to hard code the |high quality or |low quality
version to the article / wiki syntax. The idea is that you just put
something like [[Stream:my_movie]] or [[File:my_movie.ogg]] (in your
example) and then based on the client bandwidth, client supported
codecs, local language, and client player preference and the available
streams on the server the javascript player choses the appropriate set
of video, audio, and text streams to playback.

Its not quite the same problem as existing File namespace
transformations system. Same temporal meaning files are not _only_ files
programmability transcoded from a single my_video.ogg source. Its
different from the thumbnails or flattened SVGs derivatives. Aside from
the issue of associating dubbed audio tracks, Users will never upload
their original HD footage because of bandwidth constraints and for
maximum quality on the low-end version we want to create the low
bandwidth derivatives from the original footage so the derivatives will
not really be a "temporary file" that can easily be regenerated.

We can certainly overload the File namespace as you suggest to enable
such associations but the minimal hierarchy of a Stream namespace to
associate specific identical temporal meaning files seems
cleaner/worthwhile to me. It will mean that a single File: page will be
associated with many actual "files" that may have different licenses etc.

The stream namespace also contains interfaces for associated layers of
timed text putting all those associations into the File namespace may
complicate things but we can go that way if its the consensus.

peace,
--michael