[Commons-l] Almost 5 million free media files

Isabell Long isabell121 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 21:21:02 UTC 2009

2009/8/29 Maarten Dammers <maarten at mdammers.nl>:
> Hi everyone,
>
> In a couple of days from now (three?) Wikimedia Commons will hit the 5
> million uploaded files (see the statistics at
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Statistics).
> At that point Wikimedia Commons also exists almost 5 years. Wouldn't it
> be nice to send out a real press release to a couple of news agencies to
> get some press attention? 5 million files is a big milestone and should
> get some coverage.

I agree with that, I think there should be something in the news about
this!  I don't know if this has already been thought of, but Commons
doesn't get very much press coverage (mind you nor does Wikipedia in
England at least) so it would be very interesting and maybe Commons
could gain even more files from it being publicised?!

Isabell.

--
Regards,
Isabell Long.  <isabell121 at gmail.com>