[Commons-l] Beer and copyright

Michael Maggs Michael at Maggs.name
Fri Sep 19 15:47:30 UTC 2008

Generally, these are straight copyvios and can be speedily deleted.
There is no general defence to copyright infringement of a printed
design that the design happens to appear on a can or a label.

See http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/COM:CB#Product_packaging

Uncertainty can arise, though, where a design is old or is very similar
to an old design (eg the Marmite jar).

Also

Ets-Hokin v. Skyy Spirits, Inc., 225 F.3d 1068 (9th Cir. 2000)

can sometimes come into play, though does not provide the worldwide permission to copy any label design that some would like.

What would help a lot is to have some well-defined way of recording against a kept image the copyright rationale under which it is being kept.

Michael