[Commons-l] revoking licenses /user-request-deletions

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Fri Sep 19 14:55:55 UTC 2008

Vassia Atanassova wrote:

> I'd suggest a questionnaire or a wizard-like sequence of questions and optional answers which results in suggestion of which license (if any!) best suits the author's will. I've seen something similar here: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/images/4/49/Choose_license_popup.png (accessible from here: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Web_Integration_Guide)
>
> For instance:
> * I declare I am the original author of the image. Y/N

Actually our main problem is here.
Quite a lot of people do not understand what "original" means or what
"author" means. I think we should rephrase this as "I am the
photographer", "I scan the image from a book", "I copied the image from
...", etc.

> ** I allow commercial uses of my work. Y/N
> ** I allow modifications of my work. Y/N
> *** I require attribution. Y/N
> **** I require further distributions being released under the same conditions. Y/N

There is no point to go further if the first question is not properly
understood.

> Good side is that people will make more informed decisions.
> Bad side... this will reduce the number of uploads...
>
> Regards,
>  Spritia

Regards,

Yann