[Commons-l] Our categories are broken, very broken

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 19:17:54 UTC 2008

2008/9/18 Joe Szilagyi <szilagyi at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 4:33 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Also, being able to make tags/cats in different languages refer to the
>> same thing. So [[Category:Dog]] and [[Category:Chien]] do the same
>> thing. Redirects to cats don't quite work as we'd want them to.
>> Commons regulars have begged for this for a fair while now, and there
>> are developers working on this :-)

> This will be killer. Which bug was it?

No idea! %-D

There's been some discussion of it on wikitech-l. I know there are
people working on it.

The most likely thing we'll see first is categories working like tags,
and the impossibly minute categories being turned into Boolean queries
on broader cats. I believe that because MySQL sucks, this is actually
being implemented with Lucene search. o_0

> Easy/trivial renaming of cats would be wonderful as well.

This, like the above, is a matter of someone writing code robust
enough not to cripple the Wikimedia live servers and get it past Brion
and Tim :-)

If I were trying to produce a media repository that did all this
stuff, I doubt I'd start with MediaWiki ...

- d.