[Commons-l] Our categories are broken, very broken

Maarten Dammers maarten at mdammers.nl
Thu Sep 18 13:02:55 UTC 2008

Hi People,

Daniel Kinzler schreef:

> The category structure is english only. There's no way around this without
> changing the software.

We've been tagging wikipedia categories with the Commonscat template.
It's similair to interlanguage links. This makes navigating categories
easier; you can use your local wikipedia's category structure and hop
over to Commons.
Most bigger wiki's have been checked. Statistics are available at
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Multichill/Commonscat_stats

Daniel Kinzler schreef:
> Hm... that would be http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Sens_unique.JPG -
> niced find, but the sade fact is: that's an orpahn! no categorization, no
> gallery :( we have way too many of those.

At the moment we have about 280.000 uncategorized images (see
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Media_needing_categories ),
95.000 are in galleries so we have about 185.000 orphans.
I'm working on a project
(http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Multichill/Categories) to get
more images in categories. First i tagged most uncategorized images and
now we're trying to find categories for these images.
Currently people are working on a list at
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Multichill/Category_suggestions .
This is a list of category suggestions based on uncategorized images
which are in galleries. We could use some help. You only have to
create/find the right category to put the images in from the gallery and
tag it with a template
(http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Populate_category). A bot
will come along and fill the category.

Maarten