[Commons-l] Our categories are broken, very broken

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 10:07:14 UTC 2008

I need a road sign. I figure there are a bunch of road signs on
Commons, so since I am in Wikipedia, I go to the French page for a
sign, hoping to swiftly follow the categories to get the the road sign
I need.

That's my starting point:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circulation_en_sens_unique

I dare you to give me sensible a way to get here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:C6.svg

...if you don't speak English.

(in the end, it so happens that the sign I was looking for seems not
to exist in SVG, I'll make it, using... a google image I found in 2
seconds).

How did we get into this mess?

Is there a way to start changing this and making something that makes sense?

Or is it simply hopeless?

It's actually the second time in a few days that I have that problem. Sad. :(

Delphine

--
~notafish