[Commons-l] Support for Chemical Markup Language

Eugene Zelenko eugene.zelenko at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 03:03:12 UTC 2008

Hi!

Just re-incarnation of old idea to support 3D image of chemical
structures... I played a little bit with Kalzium in KDE 4 today and
discovered molecule viewer which render molecules in Chemical Markup
Language.

CML (http://cml.sourceforge.net) is open XML-based format so we could
allow it on Commons and provide files repository for other projects
(such as Kalzium).

There is also Java-based open source viewer JMol
(http://jmol.sourceforge.net) including web browser plugin. With JMol
we could dramatically enreach chemistry/biochemistry related pages in
Wikipedia/Wikibooks/Wikiversity in same way as we support Ogg media
files playback now.

Eugene.