[Commons-l] Photos of statues not considered derivatives in the US? (Geoffrey Plourde)

Cary Bass cary at wikimedia.org
Fri Nov 21 19:08:59 UTC 2008

I would like to point out that it's not up to the Wikimedia Foundation
to determine what is free and not free on Commons; this is entirely
governed by the Commons community, which has a mix of experts and
non-experts of its own. However, I will be copying Mike Godwin on
this email to find out what his educated opinion is on the matter (I
have a feeling he'll say something like a photograph of a statue taken
in the United States is in fact not a derivative work of the statue in
the United States)

Cary Bass

http://williampatry.blogspot.com/2008/02/photographs-and-derivative-works.html,