[Commons-l] 100 years old images

Rama Neko ramaneko at gmail.com
Wed May 21 10:30:10 UTC 2008

> AFAIK most countries don't have such a paragraph. Germany has one but even
> there
> the heirs can say it's the picture of their ancestor and then the 70 years
> p.m.a. applies.

No. "Anonymous", is this sense, has a precise meaning. It does only not mean
"we don't know the name of the author", it means that the author
deliberately published the work without associating his name to the work.
This cannot be changed even if the author is later identified, it is a
choice made by the author.
On the other hand, simply not knowing who the author is does not make a work
anonymous.

> > really?
> > got a link?
>
> > They distribute it on its own, claiming you can use it for any purpose?
> http://www.nzz.ch/nachrichten/medien/wsj_chefredaktor_1.739127.html Robert
> Thomsons image.

What is that supposed to mean ?
1) Does "pd" mean "public domain" here, for a start ? for what I know, it
might be the initials of the photographer. The publication is in German, why
would they say "Public domain" rather than "Gemeinfreiheit" ?
2) Assuming "PD" means "public domain", where does this image come from ?
For what we know, it might well have been taken by a journalist of the
newspaper, which is then entitled to releasing it in the public domain if
they see it fit.
3) This image is not problematic. It is an original portrait of a person,
and might well have an original value under Swiss law, or not. It is not a
case where the person displays a Pokemon t-shirt as was the example.

Do you have precisions, or maybe another link ?
  -- Rama