[Commons-l] Just how reviewed is a Flickr review?

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 23:09:34 UTC 2008

> checkuser-l is chasing cross-wiki vandals. Problems we've noticed:
>
>  1. Flickr review just checks whether an image is marked on Flickr as
>  cc-by or cc-by-sa.
>  2. There's no protection against someone changing the licensing.
>
>  The actual threat model is someone bringing a case of copyright
>  infringement. Would screenshots of the licence as was be enough for
>  2.?

No. Legaly we have about 3 options:

1)kill all such images
2)We get every such review signed off by a notary public
3)Rely on the fallback option that if it really matters the bot
operator could give a sworn statement that they didn't mess with the
bot for that image. Or if human reviewed reviewer provides a sworn
statement.

Or a combination of the above. Given the cost of 2 we rely on a
mixture of 1 and 3. Mostly people are not actually going to go to
court over this kind of thing/

--
geni