[Commons-l] Fwd: Museums that allow photography, e.g. V&A

Aude audevivere at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 21:46:29 UTC 2008

My experience is that it can't hurt to ask.  They might not want everybody
to take pictures, but mentioning why you want photographs and having
something to identify you with Wikimedia helps.   They may treat you like
the press, and grant permission. I tried this twice and it worked.

   - When I was in Japan last summer (after Wikimania), I spent time in
   Nagasaki.  The Atomic Bomb museum there normally does not allow photography,
   but I asked and mentioned about Wikipedia.  I had my Wikimania badge which
   helped me appear legitimate with my request.  I filled out a form, they
   granted permission (similar to a member of the press) and gave me an armband
   signifying that.  The museum in Hiroshima allows anyone to photograph (but
   no flash).
   - I was able to use the same approach again last September when they
   held public, no appointment necessary tours at the Pentagon. Normally,
   photography on military installations is not permitted.  I came with my
   camera, prepared to be turned away.  A DOD public relations representative
   was there.  I mentioned about getting photographs for Wikipedia and
   presented my Wikimania badge. He was very helpful and allowed me, along
   with a FOX News videographer, to stay around and photograph.

When photographing, do keep in mind copyright issues, freedom of panorama,
etc. which pertain to us.  We also need a good way of batch uploading
photographs afterwards.  I had problems with the various software tools, and
still have some to upload.
-Aude

> Should have sent this here too :-)

Aude