[Commons-l] Search plugins & thumbnails

Brion Vibber brion at wikimedia.org
Tue Mar 11 19:04:32 UTC 2008

I finally got sick of bug 2815 (search results should show thumbnails),
and added thumbnail display for image results in MediaWiki's core search
results display.

Rather than try to port it to the LuceneSearch plugin, I've started
rolling out the MWSearch plugin on http://test.wikipedia.org and
http://commons.wikimedia.org -- this uses MediaWiki's core search
front-end together with our custom Lucene back-end.

This is definitely an improvement for Commons, where search results are
now beginning to be actually useful. ;)

But there are definitely some UI elements we should improve on the core
interface before rolling it out on other sites -- pretty it up a bit,
include the search relevance results from Lucene, etc. Possibly
additional thumbnails for pages that _contain_ images but are not
themselves image pages.

Some of this will need to be changed in Special:Search; some may need
some tweaks to the SearchEngine base class and the MWSearch extension.

-- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)