[Commons-l] Fwd: [cc-licenses] CC0 beta/discussion draft launch

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 13:20:11 UTC 2008

> So is it useful for us to add CC0 as a licence option equivalent to
> our "public domain or equivalent" (where, if public domain release is
> not possible, the work is licenced for use by anyone for any purpose)?
> How's the uptake of CC0?

If we added such an option, I imagine it would be to /replace/
PD-self, not as something alongside it. It seems like it could be a
reasonable thing for us to do but I expect our legal heads to give it
a once-over first.

As for uptake, it was literally launched a few months ago, so there is
no uptake to speak of. The Open Clipart Library (OCAL) is planning to
switch to it (they were previously using CC-PD, public domain
dedication).

I am a bit confused as to how the second bit works, "providing a means by which
any person can assert that there are no copyrights in a particular work,
in a way that allows others to judge the reliability of that assertion."
*imagines digg-style voting on PD justifications*
mm... not quite.

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/