[Commons-l] CISS

bawolff bawolff+wn at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 07:34:00 UTC 2008

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:02:06 +0000
From: "Magnus Manske" <magnusmanske at googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: [Commons-l] CISS
To: "Wikimedia Commons Discussion List"
       <commons-l at lists.wikimedia.org>

On some date, Mangus wrote:

>Thanks for the feedback, Ayelie!

[snip]

>And, I might take you up on that CSS offer :-)

>Cheers,
>Magnus

>P.S.: Does anyone know a way to easily allow Commons admins access to
>CISS (and restrict everyone else)? IMHO everyone should be able to
>have a look, but when it comes to uploading, we might want to limit
>this, otherwise it's completely anonymous mail-and-upload spam...

The obvious solution is user names and password, but that can't happen
with the toolserver, so
how about this:
*Admin puts md5 or sha sum of some secret word on there userpage
(possibly in a nice userbox, or maybe even display:none; so it doesn't
interfere with anything. Could use js to make generating it simple as
type in word, and out plops sum)
*Users use that secret word along with there username to log in to the tool.

Would that work?

-bawolff