[Commons-l] CISS

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 15:31:08 UTC 2008

Magnus Manske wrote:
> After the recent discussion about image submissions through OTRS, I'm
> putting my code where my mouth is:
>
> CISS - the Commons Image Submission System
>
> http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/cgi-bin/ciss.pl

> Despite all this, it should demonstrate the ideas I have for that system.
>
> Ideas? Comments?
The thumbnails aren't real thumbnails, they're the original images with
a lower size by the browser. So if someone sends a big image (we always
ask for big resolution), that page will be impossible to load.
They should be thumbnailed at server and the original only shown when
clicked on it.

 > Coding support?
I was planing on doing something similar when i get added to the OTRS
(waiting for account), although more as a help to OTRS. I don't think it
should duplicate the OTRS functions. I was thinking more in something
like a greasemonkey script but not being able to save files, can be a
bit hard to make. Or maybe the iamges at OTRS could be accesed by the
url upload system.

The main problem with your site is that images are 'alone'. People won't
be able to upload them without knowing its associated text ("yes, i am
the (c) holder, it's Cc-by" or "That's the Mediterranean sea as viewed
from X"), which is supposed to be confidential. Moreover, it can be a
thread rather than a mail.

Nonetheless, i apppreciate your efforts on this.