[Commons-l] 100k image donation to Wikimedia Commons

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 22:51:28 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 8:01 AM, Artur Fijałkowski <wiki.warx at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why 800px? They do not have larger ones? Or they choosen it because
> it's useless outside internet (being honest it's useless even in
> Wikipedia for me) and they would have good PR after giving us such
> crap?
>
> Sorry for strong words, but I'm very against such donations.

800px images are better than nothing.

With these images in the Commons depository, they can be categorised,
described and people will learn *about* an image that they would not
otherwise have known of.  Armed with this knowledge, people will seek
higher resolution free editions.

Congrats to Wikimedia Germany for organising this.

--
John Vandenberg