[Commons-l] Bad experience of the new upload form

Sandahl sandahlb at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 22:58:05 UTC 2008

Daniel Schwen wrote:
>> Don't get me wrong I love javascript, but I do believe obtrusive
>> interface changes (like this one) should be made only on an opt-in
>> basis. However it has been my experience that most of commons
>> disagrees.
>>

> No, it would be wrong to imply that "most of commons thinks 'obtrusive
> interface changes' should be shoved down everyones throat". What kind of
> monsters do you think those commoners are? ;-)
>
> The key mistake is reducing the new upload form to one single
> adjective: "obtrusive" (that makes my stomach cramp up).
>
> The new upload form was not invented to torture people, it was invented to
> guide newbies (who will certainly not know how to opt-in anywhere!) through
> the upload process and make them provide the necessary information that had
> been omitted so often in a structured way (which burdened commons with lots
> of cleanup and avoidable deletions).
>
> The basic assumption was that the pro's (like you (no I'm not being ironic
> here)) will certainly know how to opt-out.

I don't see anything obtrusive about the new upload form it's just that
it didn't have  the license I sought. I was aware it wouldn't have
because  the old one does not either. I just didn't know it wouldn't
allow manual input of the specific license. Like I said, I do like the
larger description box.
Sandahl