[Commons-l] GIFAR vulnerability and commons

Daniel Schwen lists at schwen.de
Tue Aug 12 03:29:45 UTC 2008

> Even if Wikimedia is not vulnerable, many other MediaWiki installations
> will be.
I'm not convinced yet that WikiMedia is not vulnerable!
While at first the upload.wikimedia.org subdomain seemed to offer protection,
my tests at

http://toolserver.org/~dschwen/test.html

indicate that when using the url
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:FilePath/Gifar.gif to load the
applet, it has no rights to connect to upload.wikimedia.org

Unfortunately it is late right now, so I don't have time to confirm if the
server of origin is indeed set to commons.wikimedia.org as it seems at first
glance, but if it is then I think I found an attack vector.