[Commons-l] GIFAR vulnerability and commons

peter green plugwash at p10link.net
Mon Aug 11 20:36:40 UTC 2008

> Commons seems to be a target for such an attack. Upload is easy, although I'm
> not to sure about the damage potential. I suppose if an administrators
> account would get compromised an applet could be manufactured to mass delete
> content or mass block users.

If commons is vulnerable all wikimedia wiki's are and there is nothing
that local commons users or admins can really do about this. Mediawiki
should probablly be modified to check for garbage on the end of image
files if it does not already do so.

Sending this on to wikitech-l so the devs can comment on it.

.