[Commons-l] ShakataGaNai blocked me for a week

geni geniice at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 16:27:26 UTC 2008

2008/8/8 szwedzki <suidisz at gmail.com>:
> Such files are very delicate in terms of building a (preferably
> positive!) image of the project, i think.

Well yes the file was being used by en and they were rather upset to
find it had been hastily removed.

>If a user (Richiex,
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Richiex) converts Commons into a
> self-pseudo-pornographic picture gallery with own private parts, this
> calls for immediate reaction.

He's been uploading that stuff since August 2005 I think the immediate
bit could be tricky.

> Additionally, files that have their
> equivalents of a better quality ought to be removed in my opinion.

We generally don't take this approach.

> If
> my statement is called vandalism... Multichill wrote in my talk: "Dear
> Szwedzki, please see the deletion guidelines. You deleted several
> pictures which are in use at wikipedia articles so clearly in
> Commons:Scope.". Oh yeah: "Private image collections and the like are
> generally not wanted. Wikimedia Commons is not a web host for e.g.
> private party photos, self-created artwork without educational purpose
> and such. There are plenty of other projects in the Internet you can
> use for such a purpose, like Flickr and others."

None of the the images in question have any problem with those requirements.

--
geni